Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Things You Should Do Before Having Kids

Don't get me wrong, having a child is absolutely wonderful, and I wouldn't change being a mom for anything in the world. However, with that being said, there are a few things I wish I had done, or done more of, before I had Sophie. Because let's be honest, some things just aren't the same once you have a kid. So, if you are contemplating having a baby in the near future I recommend doing these things first, before you get preggers.

1. Sleep in and take naps often.
I'm sure you've heard this one, but it's true, once the baby is here sleep will become scarce, especially in the beginning. If you're lucky you'll sleep when the baby sleeps, but it won't be like it was before, when you could sleep late and take a nap whenever you wanted to.
(Full disclosure: I can't complain too much about this one. Sophie usually sleeps in until 9:00 am on the weekends. She's also a pretty good napper, and I sometimes still nap when she does, so it could be worse for me. I really feel for the mamas whose babies wake up at 6 am every day!)

2. Pamper yourself as much as possible.
Take a long bubble bath, get a massage, go for a mani pedi, do whatever it is that relaxes you, and do it as often as possible. There will be little time/money for those luxuries once the baby is here.

3. Read/watch movies.
If you enjoy reading books or watching movies, do it now. Once the baby is here fitting in the time to read gets harder, and finding sitters to go to the movies can be a chore. Even watching movies at home gets more difficult, because you'll have to wait until your child's bedtime, that is if you want to actually be able to pay attention to the movie.
(Sidenote: If you have TV shows you want to be able to keep up with once baby is here, I highly recommend you get DVR. That way you can record your favorite shows, and watch them when baby's asleep.)

4. Do a sexy photo shoot.
This is something I never had the desire to do before I had Sophie. However, now that I have had a child and my body is not the same as it was, and never will be, I wish I had. It would be nice to be able to look back and say, "Man, I used to look like that!" Plus, I'm sure your hubby would appreciate it. ;)

5. Travel
Not saying you can never travel once baby is here, but it will be harder with a baby in tow. And trips will definitely be less frequent. Is there somewhere you've always wanted to go? Go there now!

Sure, having a child can make your life more challenging at times, but it also makes it so much more rewarding. So please don't take this post as a negative comment on life after kids. I just wanted to let wanna-be parents know what they should take advantage of, while they still have the chance. :-)





4 comments:

  1. So very true, Kelsi! And don't forget #6 Go see a movie! Its a lot harder to see movies now that we have Elsie! :) But its worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Amber! Glad to have you reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Number 1, number 1, number 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Christie! It's always nice to have new readers. :)

      Delete